Sunday, March 13, 2011

Nightshade & Wolfsbane New Covers


The blogosphere has been in an absolute tizzy about the news surrounding the covers of Nightshade and Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer - and not all of it is good. 

Originally slated to be the covers for the paperback releases, Penguin is now revamping the whole look of the series based on a good response (from who we can only wonder) to the new covers - hardback edition included. 

Personally, I'm really bummed about this. The original covers of Nightshade are what drew me in to the series. In a veritable sea of paranormal romance and urban fantasy, in both young adult and adult fiction, they were a bright beacon of light. Colorful, whimsical, alluring, original. They stood out on a shelf like you would not believe.

Now? I'm sad to say, they look just like everything else. They don't stand out. There's nothing original. These are not covers befitting an international best seller. For the paperback edition - yeah, fantastic! I can see where they're going. But to change the hardback too? After such a positive response to the first book? It makes me sadface. They look, to be honest, a little on the cheesy side. Like the kind of series that are all over the place, but that no one really reads.

Regardless of the covers, though, it is all about what's inside that counts. Andrea Cremer is an amazing writer and an amazing person, and I'd buy the book even if they decided to put prancing pigs in tutus on it. 

But I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that the original cover for Nightshade is what drew a lot of people in. And now my covers aren't going to match - and my series OCD is bugging out. But there are a lot of other people that are bummed, and while it may do nothing, it can't hurt: a twitition has been started to ask Penguin to change the hardcover back to the original design. So, if you have a twitter account, and you feel as strongly about this as a few of us do, sign it at:

Otherwise, I think someone needs to send me a scan of the ARC cover so I can tape it to my copy of Wolfsbane when I get it.

5 comments:

  1. The cover is what drew me in also. I probably wouldn't have checked it out if it weren't for the cover. And my OCD is really kicking in also and I'm worrying about how I'll be doing this. I want the covers to match and like seriously, they're taking what penguin says and not what the fans, the buyers of these books are saying?

    I mean the new covers are getting very old since every other series is doing it. Nightshade stood out because it was bright, it was purple, and it looks like a piece of art.

    I just hope that with all this complaining they decide to go back to how it was. Maybe aside from that twitter if there was away to get all of the bloggers post about the cover change and how they don't like it and then send it over to the company.

    -sigh- if you get a scan of that arc, send one over my way also =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The covers look really cliche now, whereas like you said, they were really fresh and new before. I know what you mean about your cover OCD-I've been collecting my sookie stackhouse books for over 6 years now and they've gone through so many cover and style changes it's unbelievable. You can barely tell it's the same series. SO annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with ya, Liz--I hate the new covers now. There's nothing special about them, and like you I'd probably pass them up in a bookstore. I hope that the publisher reconsiders...I'm sick of my covers not matching. D<

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not loving the new ones at all, the first set pops with all the bright colors, and these new ones are just a bit boring in comparison. They definitely have a cheesier feel to them, maybe a bit more generic when compared to the very unique original covers. Too bad on these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was disappointed to see that the NightShade and Wolfsbane covers were changed. The original ones were one of the best YA Fantasy covers I have seen and I don't understand why it had to be changed. When I searched for discussions on this I found out majority agreed with me. There were even some that created blog posts to show their disappointment.
    Oh well, at the end of the day I am still a Andrea Cremer fan. :)

    ReplyDelete