Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review: Mockingjay

Title: Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Category: Young Adult
Page Count: 390
Release Date: August 2010
Series: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire
Source: Library
Quick Rating: 5/5

My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss’s family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans - except Katniss.

The success of the rebellions hinges on Katniss’s willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels’ Mocking jay - no matter what the personal cost.

What can I say about Mockingjay that hasn’t already been said a hundred times over? Best book of 2010? Probably. One of the best series to ever hit the young adult shelves? Definitely.

This is the series I would hand to someone who would never in a million years give young adult a chance. I would hand this to boys, girls, young or old. I will admit, I finished this over Christmas, and upon receiving a B&N gift card, the box set of this series was one of the first things I bought. I’ve become a total Hunger Games fan girl, and there’s no going back at this point. I foresee t-shirts and key chains in my future.

The pace, as always, was fast, but never felt rushed. The entire time, I felt myself just wanting to reach out to Katniss, wanting to hug her and shake her silly all at the same time. This was probably the most tense of the books for me, understandably. There’s a lot of freaky stuff that goes on in Mockingjay! The reptilian mutts? Totally creepy.

Really, I just want to gush until I’m blue in the face. I loved Katniss, as always, and I lover her many transformations. I loved Peeta. I adored Finnick, Prim, and Buttercup. I laughed, I gasped, I cried. I  never wanted it to end. The ending was, to me, the only way it could have ended. It was perfect, and left me warm and fuzzy inside, hoping that maybe finally, Katniss could be happy. Could I read ten more installments of the Hunger Games? Of course! But I’m glad it ended where it did, and I’m actually glad I waited so long to read the series. I don’t think I would have survived the long wait between Catching Fire and Mockingjay with my sanity intact.

Final Word: Really, if you haven’t read it yet, you’re insane. Pick up this series today! It’s the perfect time, with all three out, and a movie set to start filming in 2011. Even if you don’t like YA, I can almost guarantee you will fall in love with the Hunger Games.

Overall:
Cover:
Concept:
Characters:

Tea: It only seems appropriate to give this final installment a tea that transforms. I would recommend a blooming tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment