Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Review: Catching Fire

Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Category: Young Adult
Page Count: 400
Release Date: September 2009
Series: The Hunger Games
Source: Library
Quick Rating: 5/5

Flames are igniting. Flames are spreading. And the Capitol wants revenge.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she’s afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she’s not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol’s cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can’t prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

There is something so wonderful and so frustrating about a good cliffhanger ending. Catching Fire has one of those endings that leaves me with my jaw hanging open and going “Huh-what? What just happened?” The whole huge plot twist is within the last couple of pages, and it’s abrupt and amazing and overwhelming all at once.

*Sorta-Spoiler* Like, where’ Peeta? Is he still alive? Where’s Katniss’s family? What happened to Gale’s family? And WTF happened  to District 12?!

Normally, I give myself a little time to absorb a book before jumping into the next, to think about my review. I am so desperate to start Mockingjay I literally hand-wrote this moments after closing the book, so I could get my Catching Fire thoughts out of my head, and stay up all night reading the final book.

I also can’t believe Mockingjay is it! I’m nervous about starting it, actually. Can it all be resolved in only one more book? And I still can’t make up my mind. I think I’m still team Peeta, but I do like Gale quite a bit too. I think I’ll just vote for Katniss to start her own pretty-boy harem. :D

Final Word: Left me even more eager than the ending of The Hunger Games did! The plot twist, not only once, but twice, is mind-boggling, and I can’t wait to dive head-first into Mockingjay.

Overall:
Cover:
Concept:
Characters:

Tea: Something with a punch! From my own shelf, I’d pick Get Charged energy tea from The Republic of Tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment